View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 22:58   #33
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I don't know if you are right about this or not. No matter how techy someone is, unless they have a need for 2.2Gb available bandwidth surely they won't waste their cash on it. To me the most likely customers are a large family with teens etc or a student household. Having said that I wouldn't expect massive take up in the first instance.
Past 200Mbps you are well in to diminishing returns, plus the bottleneck moves to somewhere else in the network, when you get north of 500Mbps. Most people are probably wasting their money past that point, but in the case of VM you need to go there if you want a better upload speed.

As an example I have discussed some connections that have typical peak usages on 7Gbps on a 10Gbps connection and that's a university network with several thousand users. That peak load is the evening and is down to Netflix ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Asus have quite a range of routers now with 2.5 and 10gbps ports, and high end motherboards are shipping with similar port mixes.

The Hub4 is a bottleneck. Nobody wants to use Wifi for the desktop gaming PC.
The Hub 4 used in modem only mode with the right routers isn't a bottleneck as such. Here is my current speedtest on my desktop PC.

ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote