View Single Post
Old 17-06-2021, 14:51   #1420
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don’t know if you’ve been to Northern Ireland recently, but you don’t have to spend much time there to realise that Varadkar is right (even a broken clock is right twice a day). Stormont as a devolved assembly within RoI is no more strange an idea as its present status within the UK. And despite the British identity of the (narrow) majority of its inhabitants, stepping into Northern Ireland is not the same experience as hopping between any of the other home nations. It is already a very different entity, and exuberant expressions of Britishness by the unionist population really only serve to underline the fact.

Partition was a pragmatic solution to a real problem, but it was a solution driven by the mindset of its time. Nobody would come up with such a solution today. Ireland is Ireland, and the different identities of its people are best given space within Ireland.
I can't be bothered to dig up one of my past posts.
I believe that NI demographics may well lead to to a border poll in the not too distant future. So I definitely concede your point - at least the first paragraph. The second paragraph is a matter for democracy.

Btw, partition of Czechoslovakia is not so far back in time.

Anyway, my point is that the perfidious Varadkar is stirring it up at just the wrong moment and the EU will be laughing up its sleeve as the UK government squirms.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote