Thread: General Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2020, 12:36   #16
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not a product. 2G won’t be offered for god knows when. It was an exercise to prove that 2G is capable on the HFC network to be rolled when ready.

I wouldn’t expect 2G to be available for a couple of years at least, probably more. More than enough time to for new hardware to rolled out.

Of course it can’t, i don’t understand what you’re getting upset about. 10G when lands could be a decade away.
I mean, you said "the equipment they have rolled out is 10G capable", when the hub 4 definitely isn't.

I'm not upset, I can't even get Gig1 here in Ipswich yet, and it seems that CityFibre may arrive before Gig1, in which case I'll be jumping ship anyway.

My point was only really that the usual practice for VM, seems to be that a gateway launches with a speed tier that is then significantly upgraded over the course of it's service life. E.g. when the Hub 3.0 launched, the top tier was 200mbit. It seems it will finish it's life delivering 600mbit, a 3x uplift.

I don't think with the port limitations the Hub 4.0 is in any way a suitable device for 3Gbit, a 3x uplift from the launch speed, given that it can't actually deliver the full provisioned speed of it's launch tier over Ethernet.

They may have history with Arris, but even Arris have say the SB8200 which supports link aggregation.

The hub 4.0 is a flawed and short sighted product with a limited shelf life imo.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote