View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 13:14   #157
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Re: Child grooming gang found guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
My OH has told me this sort of thing is rife in Pakistani communities. Also in some Saudi regions, girls are allowed to marry at 12, 13 etc and this may well have been an influencing factor. I'm pretty sure the police only claimed it wasn't about race to stave off any potential race riots that this would cause had they publicly stated the opposite.
When you say this sort of thing is rife, are you refering to raping and grooming of young white girls? Can you elaborate?

Personally, I don;t think this was racially motivated. These men would have picked up young asian girls if they had been available (by that i mean troubled asian girls who could be maniuplated with drink or booze).

I have listened to many talk radio phone ins over the past few days, saying how this is a Pakistani cultural issue, or how this is a Pakistani Muslim culture, both views which I think are totally incorrect and generalise a community negatively.

Also I find it interesting that when you have a group of pakistani perpertrators their race and culture hasd become a huge issue. When you have reports of child cruelty, paedophillia rings in the UK (where the majority of convicted perpertrators have been White and in a lot of cases English) their race/ethnicioty is never an issue. They are judged as evil, simply because of what has been done.

Although I do not agree with child brides, yes it happens in Saudi and no doubt it goes on in otjher countries, cultures and religions. By making refering to this in your post, there is an implication that this is a Muslim issue (Pakistani + Saudi must equal muslim), and you are bringing in a religious factor to the discussion.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
...It is true that this case hit the headlines because the perpetrators where all asian ,i doubt very much that there would have been the same coverage if they had all been white which is part of the problem imo
The case would have hit the headlines, but the style of reporting would have been a lot different.

There crux of the matter is that this is an abhorent crime which any decent human being would be totally disgusted by and condemn, regardless of race, clour or creed. Unfortunately there are already views that I have read, saying it happens all the time in pakistani communities, oh it's ok because these girls were white, oh they wouldn't do it to their own etc etc etc..... There are calls for community leaders to go on the radio and say that this is not something we agree on etc etc etc.

The fact of the matter is that they are evil scumbags, why should their colour or background or religion cause for calls on the wider community to react and defend their culture because people automatically assume it is because of their culture that they have done this?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote