View Single Post
Old 04-01-2022, 15:52   #465
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'm not sure I follow you OB.

Are you saying VM should do some kind of deal with Netflix, Amazon or whoever, to get their streaming services onto/into the VM packages?

Would they (VM) price this new service higher, lower or equivalent to the standard Netflix (or whoever) pricing?

Wouldn't current Netflix (etc) subscribers simply stay as they are instead of entering a new 18 month contract with VM?

Apologies if I'm way out
I was really thinking about content aggregation as opposed to one subscription for all the streamers.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The basic objection to that proposition hasn’t changed since the last time you brought it up. Allowing their content to be subsumed in a programme guide they don’t control represents a risk to brand recognition for companies like Netflix, and dilutes any added value they may get from operating their own distinct menu structure.

I have to say I have no issues at all with the app layout on my TV (and I don’t have a subscription with sky or VM). I know where the stuff I want to watch is and I know how each streamer goes about showcasing their new content. Netflix in particular is extremely good at pushing content it knows I’ll like into the promoted spot at the top of my menu. There’s at least a 50/50 chance that anything new appearing there is going to go onto my watch list. It’s hard to see what’s in it for Netflix if they simply allow all their material to be funnelled into a Virgin Media or Sky branded programme guide alongside their rivals.
The advantage of permitting viewers to bookmark all their content in one place, which was my point, is that it enables you to keep track of your viewing and it reminds you of what you have on your watchlist.

Since getting the 360 software, I have not been able to add Netflix programmes to the Virgin watchlist. This has resulted in our house watching fewer Netflix shows - not deliberately, but because out of sight is out of mind. Accessing different watchlists for different streamers is a pain for the viewer. We have watched a lot more Prime of late.

It’s not about the layout of the apps or whether you subscribe once to the whole lot - it’s about ease of access to content.