View Single Post
Old 19-04-2018, 12:46   #50
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Windrush generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The issue has been around, but I think that the requirement to check up front has only happened in the last decade or so.

But again, that's my point. If you change the rules so that the checks are required, surely you'd make sure that the records are accurate and easily available before you do it, and not after?

Unless of course you don't think through the full impact of the change and are doing it for good press and an 'easy win'.
1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
Quote:
8 Restrictions on employment.
(1)Subject to subsection (2) below, if any person (“the employer”) employs a person subject to immigration control (“the employee”) who has attained the age of 16, the employer shall be guilty of an offence if—
9Entitlement to housing accommodation and assistance
(1)Each housing authority shall secure that, so far as practicable, no tenancy of, or licence to occupy, housing accommodation provided under the accommodation Part is granted to a person subject to immigration control unless he is of a class specified in an order made by the Secretary of State.
10Entitlement to child benefit
(2)The provision is as follows—
“ Persons subject to immigration control
No person subject to immigration control within the meaning of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 shall be entitled to child benefit for any week unless he satisfies prescribed conditions.”
I'm sure many other restrictions have been around for DECADES.

How do you build a central government database on these issues? Do you get people to prove it now or continuously collect data for the next 100 years before you can use the database.

Would you like people to have access to your bank account on the basis of a name and a date(eg date of birth or date of arrival)?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote