Thread: General Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2021, 20:40   #47
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
I remember looking at the time and there were 2.5Gbps Arris ones available from Germany. However, given the lead time on rebranding them and ordering process etc plus additional cost then LG probably wouldn't have bothered.

I am still half tempted to try and import one, but confirming that cloning the MAC would work as well as T&Cs is still prohibitive.

Same they don't do a business version that consumer could upgrade to which as you say could include SFP+ and solve all the problems easily for those that would pay a little bit more on a one off cost.
Just cloning the MAC wouldn’t work, as the CMTS knows to only accept the correct type of modem, it’s not done at MAC level. It also quite often sends a software/firmware update down to the modem. I imagine there would be a lot of cost involved in supporting every cable modem on the market, for not much uptake. 99.9% of consumers want minimal fuss on their part.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote