View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:56   #1245
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Britain outside the EU

Interesting (imho) commentary in the Times today.

Basically, foreign leaders don't trust Boris to keep his word, because
Quote:
A compromise with Brussels on the Irish protocol is entirely achievable. There is right on both sides and (as James Forsyth set out in yesterday’s Times) London and Brussels — if they tried — could steer this problem towards a workable fudge. Strict legality favours the EU case, but the EU has long experience of bending the rules when it wants to. The problem is that it doesn’t want to because the EU doesn’t trust this prime minister. And that lack of belief in Boris Johnson’s good faith is shared, I suspect, by the US president. Respect and trust are missing. The Irish protocol kerfuffle is only one example of a wider problem facing a country in whose leader’s integrity our allies have lost confidence.
Quote:
he says things entirely for the effect they produce at the time and on his immediate audience.
Quote:
For now, British voters don’t seem to care. I get that. Domestically he has taken to new heights the art of being forgivable. So does it matter that in Cornwall he’s in the company of a handful of foreign leaders whose votes he doesn’t need? Yes, because Britain needs their trust and, for now, Boris is Britain. He does not inspire that trust. Northern Ireland is perhaps the first example of why this matters. It will not be the last.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...nson-zgmffxtk2
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote