View Single Post
Old 22-02-2021, 12:42   #483
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The Ellesmere Port plant has been “at risk” every single time it’s needed re-tooled for a new Astra, going back decades. The heart of GM’s strategy in Europe was always the Opel brand, and Ellesmere Port and Luton were the symbolic last remnants of Vauxhall. Now, the new parent company has changed and Covid has slaughtered the economy. Plus, even if we were still in the EU, there are generous ‘structural funds’ (a.k.a. ‘Bribes’) available to suck these sorts of manufacturing jobs eastwards. If they do announce it’s shutting I have no doubt the usual suspects will greet the news with barely concealed glee and insist it proves them right about Brexit. The Portuguese former Renault COO who now runs Stellantis may even use it as a convenient excuse. The facts will of course speak otherwise.
Don't know who these usual suspects are - and I thought we'd all been told not to use this term?

I'm hopeful as Stellantis has previously said the merger between PSA and FCA was not about closing plants. The UK is a big market for the company. Let's see how things develop.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote