View Single Post
Old 24-09-2017, 19:48   #6
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Re: Terrestrial TV Switch-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
New prediction - I'm thinking that at some point over the next 10 years or so, the following is going to happen:

- The TV license itself will be replaced with the "Digital Services License" which will pay for the BBC / Some of Channel 4 and the provision of basic 10Mbit services to those who can't otherwise afford to subscribe to Internet providers or who can't get a decent high-speed connection at home for whatever reason, with the purpose of accessing iPlayer, Channel 4 player and .gov.uk services

- The bad news is that probably nearly everyone will have to pay their license to use the Internet now, instead of just TV
Two things that stand out a mile here first you don't need a TV licence to own or use a TV, only IF YOUR WATCHING LIVE BROADCAST channels plus Iplayer not any other catch up service !
Second The BBC has been knocking on about a "Digital License" The Uk public has already got this in form of the normal Tv licence under the "I player" addition to the licence fee remit. Or "Internet licence" for years not one thing has come about as you can't control whom or what one does with their internet connection legally without a court order to that address......

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I forsee the closure all all AM radio transmissions, followed by the closure of all FM.

The costs savings on power alone will be huge.

But running digital radios costs many, many times more, as does their initial purchase.

And guess who will be landed with the bill?
OH yes the digital service push over the analogue services (now 4G services which was former UK navel/submarine bandwidth for communications) they pushing for it to happen over night fast as possible only to sell the publicly owned (spare) bandwidth for a greedy profit.... then to "try" to push the ill thought out equipment on the public (DAB/mobile services).

But wait a moment...the sales of digital radios/good have been dropped sharply & the analogue goods have jumped right back up why you ask? Simple answer user ability it just works great in most conditions unlike just plain DAB. Hence why they are forced out to use the better DAB+ technology after all from straight refusing it over cost in the first stage.... poor planning if you ask me !

I know we are in the 21st century but as they say " if it's not broken DON'T FIX IT" You only need to look over sea's countries to see their not moving from analogue service (FM/MW/LW/SW) broadcasts any time soon why it's cheap + it works, you can listen to any broadcast at a much more vast distances than DAB or DAB+ BTW SW is good for this purpose & still is

Hint; BBC world service/former radio Luxembourg (LW)/Former Atlantic 252 (LW) etc. You/use to hear them broadcasting if you scroll around the dial some still using dish broadcasting transmitters (rotating).
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote