View Single Post
Old 26-01-2017, 12:21   #334
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Smart move by Sky. VM could do the same if it had its own content to offer.

Then again, I guess VM could still offer its bundles by this method and link it in with their broadband deals, although such a link could not be extended to those parts of the country VM doesn't reach.

Having said that, they could still provide their full channel offering with a new VM streaming stick or box connected to the internet and maybe link it with a discount offer relating to their mobile phone part of the business. In that way, you would be able to get VM TV packages anywhere in the UK that was connected to the internet.
I'm not sure Sky and Virgin Media have the same business approach to expansion. Sky are very much a content provider, so are keen to have their channels and content available as widely as possible, but don't have much scope if a dish can't be installed.

Virgin Media aren't currently at the same content level, although there are moving to head back in that direction. Currently TV and TiVo / V6 are there to persuade customers to take out services using the VM network. There wouldn't seem to be much advantage for VM to offer to resell TV without that connection.

And as Virgin Media are doing a network build, then they have other ways of extending their offering into new areas.