View Single Post
Old 15-02-2021, 13:59   #10282
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
A possible pointer to future EPL rights bidding.

apparently, DAZN are looking to muscle in on the Serie A rights in Italy (currently held by Sky Italia) a the bidding is expected to conclude this week.

DAZN holds the exclusive EPL rights in Canada, Spain and Japan.

2 things interest me, firstly are the Italian rights exclusive in Italy? If so how is that allowed when EU made the EPL become non-exclusives?

Secondly, the article states DAZN is a 'loss-making platform' - does anyone know who owns DAZN?
Some Russian billionaire and some venture capitalists have been throwing into the money pit that is DAZN to date.

Currently Serie A rights are split between Sky (7) and DAZN (3) matches per week.

In the past, individual home games were sold by clubs (generally to a Silvio Berlusconi owned DTT outfit if I recalled - he also owned AC Milan in addition to his comedy political career) while all games were also carried by a satellite broadcaster. So you had a genuine choice whether to subscribe for them all for buy individual games for most clubs.

The EU remedy ceased to apply from 2013 I think, it just became financially beneficial for the EPL to split the rights.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote