View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 22:33   #7010
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You haven’t demonstrated what will change to enable another supplier to enter the market and succeed. Indeed, as I’ve pointed out before, the strategists at Sky correctly predicted a fall in the value of the rights despite the “looming shadow” of Amazon being peddled by the Premier League snake oil salesmen.

The thing is economics, and principles of retailing anything, are largely frozen in time. Streaming is just another mechanism of delivering television - it’s not the revolution you claim it to be and a streamer has to have a viable model just as ITV Digital, Setanta, ESPN and others have tried. Where are the customers?

I have pointed out numerous times that Sky have the customers to be profitable on day 1 of a rights window. Everyone else has to catch up.
What will change is Amazon making a bid. The December trial may just make their minds up.

You have pointed out countless times that we are 'only' talking about a different method of delivery. Nobody is arguing with you on this point. But it will be a completely different experience for those viewers who have never experienced the delights of on demand viewing and streaming. That very change will see off the existing scheduled channels.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
And that’s just it - it’s solely your thoughts. No-one has ever had to sit down and watch adverts since PVRs came out. Yet, the observable reality is they do. You see people as simple, straightforward and inclined to do what you prefer. However consumers aren’t a single homogenous group going to wake up tomorrow and decide to stop watching scheduled television.
Of course it's my thoughts, based on observation. That is no revelation, surely? Just as you have been expressing your thoughts.

Your take on how I think is completely inaccurate, but then I have told you that before as well.

It would be a much better use of our time if we were able to simply observe what is happening and try to work out where all this is going, rather than trying to trip up or psychoanalyse each other. Instead of simply pointing out that we disagree, adding a bit of substance as to why would be more illuminating.