View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 17:56   #645
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not at all. I am simply saying that there are different approaches to pricing.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Got it in one, pip. Sky has form.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

True, but that's where competition comes in and sooner or later, competition will bring those prices down.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

That is a very inflexible approach. There are opportunities to provide 'skinny' bundles of selected matches over the year at a reduced price which would attract more customers, enable other TV channels to purchase non-exclusive rights to a limited number of selected games, etc. It is not just a stark case of 15 quid a month for 8.3 million subscribers. You haven't even added income from advertisements into that figure.

As far as Amazon is concerned, because Prime is linked to their retail operation, it is quite possible that they may be happy to simply break even if it brought in more customers for their central business.
Many years ago sky had a 'Prem Plus' package - £50pa as I recall, which gave an additional game each round.

There was talk of a season ticket that gave you all of your selected teams matches - this never materialised, not sure why.

I think the £15pm for 8.3 million subs gives an indication what any streamer is up against - yes it doesn't include advertising income but also doesn't include production & broadcasting costs or any profit.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
You'd hope so but I'm sure the BBC will be fine with simply charging people twice instead
I am sure they will, unless they are forced to do otherwise.