View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 21:52   #4
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Charity and Fundraising Thread

It's a few days to go until I embark on my latest rail race as one of my fundraisers this year for the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS) who are celebrating their 10th birthday.

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic, progressive and disabling auto-immune disease. There are approximately 400,000 people with RA in the UK.

I would like to help raise some funds for this patient led charity to help raise awareness about RA not only with the general public, but also with the medical professionals. NRAS offer help and support for the long term management of RA, which can affect people of any age.

I'll be starting my 48 hour Rail Race around the UK and Ireland from Birmingham New Street on 8th June at 07.30 and my first train will be down to Cardiff and due to arrive at 09.30, I'm hoping to dash to a local landmark to get a pic or two as I've built in some stopover time at each city this time.

I'll be leaving Cardiff at 11.20 to Holyhead, and arriving there at 16.15, then I'll hop onto the Swift ferry service to Dublin and arriving at 19.15

A chance to grab some pics in Dublin, before heading to the hotel (as my cousin is on holiday when I'm there so can't steal her spare room for the night)

07.30 next morning I'll be leaving Dublin Connolly station en route to Belfast, and am due to arrive there at 09.45

A chance for a quick few pics and then off to the 11.45 Stena Line ferry to Stranraer due to arrive in Scotland at 13.45.

I head off from Stranraer at 14.43, and have a change of trains at Ayr (16.13) and arrive in Glasgow Central at 17.09, a dash over to Queen street for the 17.30 train to Edinburgh, and due to arrive there at 18.24

A few hours in Edinburgh before (hopefully) getting on the 23.40 sleeper service to London Euston, and arriving in London at 06.43 on the 10th.

It would be lovely if anyone was able to pop along to any of my arrival points to say hello.

I'll be blogging the journey over on the blog page

there is also a twitter account which you can find HERE ... I’ll also be using the #NRASRailRace hashtag so it's easier to find.

Later in the year I'm hoping to do some more strenuous activities including another abseil (shoulder surgery permitting) and a few other activities I've yet to finalise.

The JustGiving page for this, and my other fundraising activities for this year can be found at

A BIG thank you to you all who have supported me in the past, and to anyone who kindly makes a donation this year. My thanks also go to the CF Team for allowing me to post info of my fundraising

Best wishes

Jo.