Thread: US Timeline The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2021, 10:09   #310
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: The Mandalorian

Quote:
Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) has hired to its team a YouTuber who went viral with a video that showed him using deepfake technology to improve upon the special effects in an episode of "The Mandalorian."

A representative for ILM told TheWrap that it hired the YouTuber who goes by the name Shamook, who scored nearly 2 million views for a video from December that tweaks the VFX of a scene in which a digitally de-aged Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) makes a cameo in the season 2 finale of "The Mandalorian."

"Industrial Light and Magic is always on the lookout for talented artists and have in fact hired the artist that goes by the online persona ‘Shamook,' a rep for the special effects company said. "Over the past several years ILM has been investing in both machine learning and A.I. as a means to produce compelling visual effects work and it’s been terrific to see momentum building in this space as the technology advances."

https://www.thewrap.com/lucasfilms-i...e-mandalorian/

I thought we had discussed this at the time but we didn't. What they did with Luke completely ruined it for me and when I saw the deepfake (not this side by side comparison but a full normal altered scene) the first thing I said to everyone was "why don't Lucasfilm use this dude and his footage and change it" and everyone replied saying what he has done was illegal bla bla bla. I am glad ILM have noticed it and taken the opportunity to improve going forward. My next hope is they do what they have done numerous times with the films and is to go back and make a permanent fix with this guy's version plus let him fix the sync issues. Everyone said it couldn't be done because it is a tv series on a budget and they did the best they could yet this guy did it in four days and could have done better if he had more time.

Last edited by General Maximus; 28-07-2021 at 10:16.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote