View Single Post
Old 29-06-2021, 11:18   #1570
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You know my view on Boris and that his word is no good.
I do understand the argument about abiding by what the UK signed.
But:

1/
It's the Remainers who always put the abiding matter on the table;

2/
It's the Remainers who never concede that the rigorous, inflexible implementation by the EU of the NI Protocol is at the heart of the problem.

That said, the core of the heart of the problem lies in the stupidity of signing the Withdrawal Agreement as was. Being where we are now, the EU must recognise that stability in NI is now threatened and they need to relax enforcement of GB towards NI trade restrictions.

The extension is merely providing time for further negotiations and for the stupid marching season to pass. That is a waste of time unless the EU makes concessions. But they don't make concessions without extracting blood from the stone. So expect this to come back to the headlines in September.

A completely clean break is what should have happened and the folly of "our friends in Europe" is now completely clear. Even to you.

Boris does owe a degree of responsibility. But I think it's optimistic to think that Brexit was ever going to turn out well. And a clean break would have been impossible whilst Northern Ireland was part of the UK and the Republic part of the EU. That's the dream of keyboard warriors and nothing seriously entertained by any British Prime Minister, even one not known for his love of detail!

What lots of your rhetoric is masking is what some of us went around in circles with back in 2016 - we're a large country but we're negotiating with far larger blocs and countries. Size matters in negotiations and smaller entities do get bossed around. That's why I came to the same conclusion as Thatcher and Churchill - it's better to be in the tent pissing out than outside it getting wet.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 29-06-2021 at 11:32.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote