View Single Post
Old 23-09-2018, 12:46   #3094
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

As Comcast has just paid £30bn for three letters, not only do I think its a safe bet that Comcast will set up a global streaming app, but its pretty obvious what that app will be called: Sky.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Virgin and Sky in the UK are only part of wider operations.

By that logic would Comcast/Liberty seek to merge their operations all over Europe? Is that a serious prospect that regulators will entertain? Highly doubtful in my view, although I do accept the point that in the UK market at least (from the consumer point of view) Virgin/Sky essentially offer the same service at similar prices and the “competition” doesn’t do anything to keep prices down.
I only floated the idea of a merger due to the close relationship that John Malone has with Comcast and the American cable industry.

I think a merger is unlikely, but the media world is changing and soon it will all be about the likes of Apple, Amazon etc and the old media/telcos will get left behind if they don't change and consolidate.