View Single Post
Old 14-05-2019, 09:09   #5292
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
IPTV is just the delivery method the same as Satellite or cable.

Those broadcast channels still available in the US ? A country with far higher numbers cord cutting.
Yes, we are talking about the delivery method, aren't we? How many times have I got to clarify that the channels in decline will be the traditionally broadcast linear channels to make this clear and avoid all the pedantry that goes on here about the terminology used? You know exactly what I'm referring to.

Nobody has said that cable and satellite channels are not available in the US. However, they are in decline, as the links have confirmed.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m very alert to what is going on around me. Streaming is changing the way users consume television (and including pay television).

My “desperate scenario” as you put it is that people will continue to consume television in a variety of means: linear, time shifted and on demand from a variety of providers (including streaming providers). Hardly desperate or controversial?

You, on the other hand, are claiming the market will revolutionise yet can’t explain why basic economics (affordability of sports rights for example) doesn’t apply to streamers. You have to demonstrate how linear reaches zero and that Liberty, Comcast etc cannot adapt. I don’t have a high bar to demonstrate that people enjoy (and will continue to do so) the current broad range of offerings.
I don't disagree with your first two paragraphs. Except the 'desperate' bit.

I cannot understand why you are, I think, suggesting that streamers will not be able to afford to stream live sport. They already do. Presumably you are referring to my comment that sport might well be cheaper, and I stand by that. Amazon is a good example. A reduced price for sport could draw more people into their Prime retail service.

I said many moons ago that it is possible that the linear channels could be saved if they were able to adapt in some way, but I have seen no signs of that and frankly at the moment I cannot envisage what such an adaption could possibly be. On demand viewing is so much more convenient, and without advertisements, time wasting is eliminated. AVOD will still be available of course, but most people who can afford it will take the ad-free versions of their most used streaming services.

You have acknowledged that streaming is becoming more popular. There will inevitably come a point when this trend tips so far as to make the linears no longer worthwhile.

Just sit back and watch this play out. It will take a few years (Den please note)!