View Single Post
Old 25-02-2019, 11:02   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The thing is that nobody wants or needs surprises, shocks, upsets or anything quirky. The best film should win on its own merits and if it happens to be a political drama (e.g. JFK), civil/gay rights (e.g. Philadelphia) or foreign language (e.g. Pan's Labyrinth) then great but they shouldn't win like some people gets jobs just to massage the stats. I wanted Black Panther to win because all round taking the various aspects of the film into account, I thought it was the best of the bunch and not to tout any black agenda. I wasn't unhappy Green Book won because I thought it was a good story with great acting performances but Black Panther was better.
The message a film tries to make is always part of the discussion though. A lot of films are trying to tell a story, make an impact, advocate for an idea. The Oscars love that too. It's why Spotlight beat Mad Max even though I thought Mad Max was such a excellent film that shows why films exist. Spotlight could have been a play or a TV drama. The academy seems to hate cinema sometimes as evident by their obvious disdain for cinematography. It's nearly 80 years since Fantasia and no animated film has ever won Best Picture, only three have ever been nominated.

There is also film politics involved. There are people who vote that don't think Black Panther should be there because it's a comic book movie and that Roma shouldn't be there because it was Netflix. Also animated films rarely stand a chance because they took down their noses at it and the bulk of the voter base are actors so are heavily biased towards that part of a film.

Quote:
When people talk about acting awards they always mention "transformative performances" which is why people like Gary Oldman, Christian Bale and Rami Malek win.
Yeah it's a lot more 'showy'. Subtly is not rewarded.

Quote:
Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself.
I think that was less about him not winning but who he lost too. I don't think another film would have got that reaction. Green Book has been compared to Driving Miss Daisy where a white character whose a bit racist is been driven by a black character and they go on a real and metaphoric journey and sort it all out. That won Best Picture the same year Spike Lee's most lauded film came out although that year he wasn't even nominated.

Last edited by Damien; 25-02-2019 at 11:07.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote