View Single Post
Old 25-02-2019, 10:14   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
In the end the usual conservationism won though and they didn't award it to a comic book movie, to a foreign film not funded by a major studio or to a movie that challenges anyone.
The thing is that nobody wants or needs surprises, shocks, upsets or anything quirky. The best film should win on its own merits and if it happens to be a political drama (e.g. JFK), civil/gay rights (e.g. Philadelphia) or foreign language (e.g. Pan's Labyrinth) then great but they shouldn't win like some people gets jobs just to massage the stats. I wanted Black Panther to win because all round taking the various aspects of the film into account, I thought it was the best of the bunch and not to tout any black agenda. I wasn't unhappy Green Book won because I thought it was a good story with great acting performances but Black Panther was better.
Likewise in the acting categories there were very strong performances and one person who I didn't mention was Melissa McCarthy. I am not a huge fan of hers but I thought she was very good in Can You Ever Forgive Me and I would have been happy for her if she won because I knew she deserved it. When people talk about acting awards they always mention "transformative performances" which is why people like Gary Oldman, Christian Bale and Rami Malek win. The one person who I wasn't keen on winning or being nominated was Sam Elliott. Like Jeff Bridges he doesn't really act, he didn't have to go out and research a person or behaviour, he was just himself and had to learn some lines.
As a whole though, even with Roma, I think the right people/films won this year in every category. I had never seen or heard of Olivia Colman before I watched The Favourite but I wanted her to win because she was the best this year. You didn't see Glenn Close getting up and spitting her dummy out; Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself.

Oh I forgot to say earlier when I was talking about popular films and the MCU being represented by award presenters, for those of you who don't watch the ceremony or only the highlights, Stan Lee was included in the In Memorium tribute, as he should have been for his contribution to the industry. I would love to see him receive a posthumous life time achievement award next year.

Last edited by General Maximus; 25-02-2019 at 10:22.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote