View Single Post
Old 19-05-2019, 19:46   #9124
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Interesting to see how this is developing. The industry is gingerly tipping its toes into the streaming revolution. Still a little way to go yet, I suspect.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/Exper...OTT-sports.php

A panel including NBA and NFL Game Pass at SportsPro Live in London debated the future direction of sports streaming, expecting new digital players and more leagues going direct-to-consumer (DTC) to disrupt the landscape even further.

“If you think of OTT as a mature marketplace for entertainment, sports is not there yet but we see two phases on the horizon for the growth in OTT sports,” said Will Staeger of Endeavour Streaming. “We haven’t seen the big streamers like Netflix and Amazon fully step in. I think that phase is coming. How will that disrupt the market? I also think we will see more DTC services from the leagues, that moment is also coming,” Staeger said.
Currently, Premier League is funded by the massive amounts linear TV companies pay to secure the rights.

I cannot see them going DTC for years if not decades as it would be a huge leap into the unknown - bearing in mind they would have

Production costs
Advertising costs
Revenue collection costs

I am sure someone could be bothered to do the maths, but surely they would need millions of subscribers to earn as much as they do now - couldn't really expect more than £25pm per subscriber or people wouldn't bother.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote