View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 15:35   #2781
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes we've already seen the calibre of his people. Raab looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, Gove the devil incarnate...
I guess that depends on how warped your perspective on things is, Mr K. The other lot would be in total disarray if they were in charge.

The government has got a good handle on this and they are making decisions in line with medical advice. Would you have them going against that advice?

They could do, I suppose, but there would be more casualties and the NHS would break. You can't go to the other extreme and lock everyone up because first of all, the public would not accept it, but also, the virus would simply get to us all when the restrictions were lifted. If you think it's a good idea to lock everyone up for 18 months, you are part of a very small minority.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm reading lots of sources that suggest Johnson will propose an extension period at the height of the crisis. It's neatly summarised by one business leader who asked the the Daily Telegraph’s Europe Editor, Peter Foster “am I supposed to be making ventilators or hiring customs agents?”

Here's one of those many sources suggesting an extension is on the books.
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status...49409439436808

Will Johnson re-emerge from his CV-19 isolation to be a succesful leader of a nation in crisis and able to stand upto the likes of David Davis and Dominic Raab? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I see three likely choices and rate them:
No extension (10% chance)
1-year extension (50% channce)
2-year extension (40% chance)
It's all speculation, though, isn't it? Certainly, Boris could turn this to his advantage and give the coronavirus as his reason to extend if he wanted to, and people by and large would accept that. But would he, though? To his mind, this is a straight forward matter and either the EU will give it to us (in line with EU interests), or they won't.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but it is important to be aware that video conferencing discussions have continued to take place with our counterparts in Brussells, so in reality, coronavirus is no real excuse for not getting on with it.