View Single Post
Old 21-08-2016, 23:40   #73
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
just because a person thinks they are being bullied does not make it so .You are talking about tying up valuable extra resources based on some idiots belief that because someone else disagreed with them they are being bullied.Utterly ridiculous
Yes it does, it's the contemporary way of dealing with bullying, abuse etc.

For years, victims of child sex abuse, workplace bullying, domestic violence weren't listened to. They were told that they were liars, to "get on with it", to "put up and shut up" etc.

It's not about disagreeing with somebody, it's about interacting with them in a respectful and courteous manner, treating them with dignity, without harassment, bullying or discrimination.

This even applies to people with learning difficulties that you refer to as "idiots".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
I believe the term is harassment, alarm or distress, the police can get involved if any of those particular boxes are ticked
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
i simply don't understand why people expose so much of their personal life for everyone to see .I would say they deserve what they get but i'm scared of being trolled
It's not about disclosing personal information online (although that is unwise), it's about how you treat, refer to and speak to people.

Which people "get what they deserve"?

- The disabled member on here who was told that he should have been killed at birth?

- The middle aged man with learning difficulties who locked himself away and then killed himself because of how he was treated? (Those with learning difficulties are ten times more likely to commit suicide).

- The 13 year old girl who committed suicide after relentless bullying at school because she was unusually tall?

- The young person being mocked because of their sexuality, whilst barely understanding it themselves? (LGBT people are two to three times more likely to commit suicide).

It isn't just the law that you have to worry about, Virgin Media now carry truTV. There's a programme on there about how people who feel aggrieved about they way that they have been treated online have gone on to trace and murder people.

This is an American programme, but I have personal knowledge of a one sentence post that led to the tragic death of a young man in Yorkshire after he was knifed.

The world is changing and if you don't follow suit, you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law, or even worse.

Wouldn't it just be easier and kinder to be nice to other people?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote