View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 13:55   #487
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Train Spotters Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
If it doesn't affect London then a far as Government (either side) you can be sure that when the cuts come any promises made prior to an election are the first to be broken.
Let me tell you, as a Londoner while I can see we have the best transport system in the country, it doesn't always feel as though the government prioritises London over the north. Our local borough council has been told in the past that it has had it's funding cut so the government of the day can divert the money up north.

It's also worth noting that over a tenth of the population live within the M25. Kent and Surrey are also quite heavily populated on top of that, so it's logical that the London transport systems have a lot of money invested in them.

Not that I am, in any way, defending the lack of spending in other parts. The Government needs to concentrate a little less on projects that look good in advertising (such as HS2 and Crossrail) and a little more on upgrading the existing infrastructure so that other users can benefit. For instance, I live is what is apparently (in terms of the number of wealthy people) the richest borough in London. We do not have ANY tube stations, despite only being 10 miles from the center of town. We do have a massively overloaded train system though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Don't fret guys, who needs railways when we'll all be whizzing around in cheap electric vehicles or on bikes soon...

The money being spent on HS2 ought to be being used to improve the rest of the network IMHO but that's another story...
As said above, I agree. It'll never happen though. Come voting time, the Tories (or any party that happens to be in government0 can argue that they delivered big tent pole project like HS2 and Crossrail. Saying they delivered improvements across the network doesn't grab the attention nearly as well.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote