View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 10:16   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is an absolute snooze fest and a boring black and white soap. All the way through it I was looking at the clock watching the time tick away and asking myself why on earth it was made. I actually wish it was released at the cinema and not on Netflix because nobody would pay to go and see it and it would have been trashed.
I was lucky and did see at the cinema. Remember a lot of the critics and film festival circles would have seen it in such a format too. I think it's worth seeing at the cinema because of the quality of the shots.

Quote:
Who wants to watch one minute of a car slowly trying to drive into a corridor, reversing, changing gear and then trying again? Or what felt like 5 minutes of opening credits of somebody scrubbing a floor and water going down a drain? Yes you can say it was a nice family story but there wasn't anything special about it.
It is a very slow film so I can see why people wouldn't take to it. It's not a film I've been recommending to everyone like I have with Stan & Ollie for example.

Quote:
I am sure you could make a million films like that because that dynamic and those circumstance are happening all over the world every day. Do you want to make a film about me getting up and going to work today.
It's meant to be a portrayal of a life though. Not an epic story. One thing I liked is how a lot of stuff was happening in the background whilst the story focused on the breakdown of the marriage, the life of Cleo and the relationship between them. This is an entire genre, slice of life films, which are not new although typically more popular in art-house and foreign cinema. Although considering quite a bit does happen to the characters here it's borderline. Shoplifters was similar in that nothing much happens as such, at least not until the end, as was Leave No Trace. Both films that I felt should have got more recognition. (Although Shoplifters has a foreign film nod and won at Cannes).

But yeah, different tastes and so on. I liked Green Book too. The only films I would be unhappy to see win would be Vice or Bohemian Rhapsody. I also think A Star is Born was made just to win Oscars.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote