View Single Post
Old 24-01-2019, 13:37   #531
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The current trends rarely continue to infinity. Early adopters have far more enthusiasm than the population at large. Which is why, despite DVRs and on demand, linear still accounts for a sizeable chunk of broadcasting.

I’d be more interested if the BBC had a firm date for the end of linear broadcasting. However they don’t. Literally nobody does. Which is where you have to demonstrate that it’ll be no longer cost effective to maintain a linear presence when literally hundreds of channels manage it just now.

Even following through simple economics if there’s a reduction in linear channels the value of remaining advertising slots goes up as does the share of the remaining audience. You are trying to push the remaining audience figure down to zero, I’m only making the point that it’s unrealistic.
The BBC is planning for an environment in which linear channels will have ceased broadcasting - that is the period 2028-2038. My prediction is based on 2035, so what's your point? Why must you have an exact date? I'm sorry, but I think you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

I am not saying at all that the linear TV audience will shrink to zero, that's you saying that. What I have said, consistently, is that audiences will eventually reach a level where it ceases to be economic or worthwhile to run them. You seem to be ignoring completely the ITV crisis of a few years ago, when the advertisement funding stream was drying up due to the lack of commercials. That's how fragile the whole system is.