Thread: 4K UHD on Virgin Media
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2018, 14:43   #640
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
Is that confirmed by the BBC that its about being platform neutral?
Everything the BBC does has to be platform neutral i.e. everything should be done in a way so that it could be accessed by all licence fee payers.

This is documented in the BBC's charter documents here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/govern...agreement.html

And this is specifically from the agreement document:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/.../agreement.pdf

Quote:
61. Making the UK Public Services widely available
(1) The BBC must do all that is reasonably practicable to ensure that viewers, listeners and other users (as the case may be) are able to access the UK Public Services that are intended for them, or elements of their content, in a range of convenient and cost effective ways which are available or might become available in the future. These could include (for example) broadcasting, streaming or making content available on demand, whether by terrestrial, satellite, cable or broadband networks (fixed or wireless) or via the internet
So the BBC generally can't produce something that's classed as UK Public Services that only Sky or BT or VM customers could access (Different rules apply where it comes under the Commercial arm of the BBC)

In the case of the Ultra HD World Cup streams - they are a trial, so I'd expect the BBC are allowed some leeway in these rules - however their aim is still to produce a technical solution that complies with the above statement.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-06-2018 at 14:58.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote