Old 28-11-2011, 08:34   #3
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Boxnation, Why not a Wrestling Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Now we have a boxing channel available on the system, why doesn't VM go for a British Wrestling channel.

We have all this 'fixed' American stuff, l am certain around the British Isle's we must have British Wrestling.

If that came in, it would be great, especially from the World of Sport days.
*Cracks knuckles*

Right, let me get my teeth in to this one.

There used to be a channel called TWC - The Wrestling Channel. It didn't work out as there simply wasn't enough money in it. It primarily featured LDN wrestling, run by a friend of mine called Sanjay Bagga and they do shows around the London and Essex areas. Sanjay is considered by many to be the most successful UK promoter in the south of the country. If he wasn't able to put on a sustainable product then I can't think of many others that could.

The problem with British-based wrestling is there's a LOT of crap out there. Legendary promoter Jim Cornette once said "There's only 2 types of wrestling, good wrestling and bad wrestling".

Right now all you need to run a show is to hire a ring (usually around £150) and possibly about £50 to pay your 'talent'. many noobs will be willing to work for free just to be on a show. A lot of venues are Social Clubs and the like which won't ask to see insurance - lucky, because liability cover for the workers and audience is usually £1000+. Usually they don't charge to hire the hall, they just make money from the bar. As a result any Tom, Dick and Harry can put on a 'wrestling' show and it leads to what is often an embarrassing show which exposes so many of the secrets of wrestling. Yes we know you're aware it's not real but we want to put on a performance which is so good you're happy to suspend your disbelief for the duration of the event. With all the rubbish out there, it's very frustrating.

There are a handful of top quality promoters in the UK who ensure their product is the best - Brian Dixon, Alan Ravenhill to name just 2. But TV is too much of a risk for it to be sustainable. The target audience is kids, and they just want to see huge muscular blokes who are well over and have a great hook/gimmick. The problem is as soon as any UK workers get like that, they get head-hunted by WWE or TNA.

Arthur, there is a thriving British wrestling scene (check the second link in my sig). I used to wrestle and am now a referee and have been for 5 years. All pro wrestling is 'fixed' as you call it. There is no real distinction between what you call 'American' wrestling and the old World of Sport product. The results are pre-determined and the moves are 'worked'. the only real difference is the presentation. The American stuff (and about 99% of what you see anywhere in the UK right now) is just more flashy and 'show'. The old WoS rules system (8x3 minute rounds etc) simply would not work right now, the market has moved on.

I've reffed a few WoS-rules matches which were featured as one-offs on shows and they're an interesting novelty but the vast majority of the target audience have never heard of it and have no long-term interest in it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote