Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 00:00   #6144
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think there are enough Remainers, or at least people who want a deal before leaving, in Parliament that will prevent her from doing via the Fixed Terms Parliament act, remember she'll need Tories to back her in that case too.

If I've done the maths right they will need 434 votes to call an election. (2/3s of 650, abstentions still count).

All opposition MPs = 333. Leaving 101 Tory MPs needed assuming every single other MP votes for the election and that's a bit unlikely IMO if this the obviously the game that they perceive May to be playing. Liberal Democrats could abstain? More Tories needed. SNP abstain? More still and so on.

Would over 100 Tories MPs be willing to detonate themselves in such a fashion? To facilitate a no deal Brexit and possibly hand it over to Corbyn?

Instead I think they would try a vote of no confidence but that doesn't get the delay you would need since in that circumstance someone else could form a government which I think would happen if only to delay Article 50 before calling the actual General Election again.
The politics of this are toxic in Scotland. Scottish Labour would have an absolute field day with the idea of the SNP keeping the Tories in power when they had the chance to kick them out in an election.