View Single Post
Old 18-06-2019, 07:02   #1034
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'd imagine they would, but Old Boy in another thread has Sky/Comcast under existential threat from rivals. I fail to see how expediting that process by making key content available on Virgin who are about to roll out 500MB to 13 million homes is a plan.
I'm not sure what post you are referring to here. It is true that I have said in the past that Sky is under threat from the global players, but now that Comcast have taken over, this has diminished somewhat.

I have also criticised Sky for the lack of original content and I have said that with new streaming services being set up such as Disney+, a lot of the programmes it currently screens will migrate to those services. Whole channels, such as Sky Cinema Disney, the Disney Channel and Disney XD are under threat by that one new streaming service.

The Comcast takeover is a help to Sky because it has a library of its own, but I don't think they should be too laid back about that situation. This is a rapidly changing market.

As far as Sky making additional content available to other platforms, they have already agreed a deal with BT, so your argument falls by that one fact. Remember, Sky have said that they wish to monetise their assets. My guess is that the BT and Sky deals will become effective on the same day.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If you are inferring conclusions that cannot be substantiated - yes it's very likely that I'll return.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6&postcount=47

Despite having the content until 2011 the extension at that point was agreed in June 2010 as part of the sale of VMTV channels.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010...ter-vmtv-sale/

I'm not convinced Sky/Virgin are sitting at the last minute trying to extend the content agreement if there's broad agreement in place - e.g. Sky Atlantic being part of the offer. There'd be no reason not to announce it now.
I have quoted reasons for my assessment of the situation. It is simply my assessment, based on limited facts. I have made that very clear.

If you are one of those people who insist on clear announcements about what is coming soon to Virgin Media, then think again. VM never seem to make most of their announcements very far in advance - the Prime announcement was very much an exception. If you want that degree of certainty, go to the VM press release site, but you won't find much on there to help you. If that's all that went on this thread, it would only be a few pages long!

You are not in a position to say why there has been no announcement yet. There you are, I've just done a jfman.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote