View Single Post
Old 18-05-2008, 15:18   #39
Losttheplot

Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping.
ITV has been FTA for a long time now.
Sky had integrated TV's when they first launched digital - they didn't take off.

There are no channels currently available on Freesat which aren't currently available on a Sky box, without a smartcard. For now I'd stick with a Sky box cheap from ebay.