View Single Post
Old 14-10-2020, 21:44   #3446
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'd be hugely interested to read on how the mass privatisations of the 1980s and 1990s were all companies that previously existed in the private sector. But I think that's for another thread.
Phones were always government owned, post office etc, granted.

British Rail - formed from private rail companies from 1948.

British Leyland - formed from private car companies. 1975

Electricity - National Grid and Regional DNO’s - The Electricity Act 1947 (repealed 1989) merged 625 electricity companies to be vested in twelve area electricity boards whilst the generation and 132 kV National Grid were vested with the British Electricity Authority.

Water - initially private enterprises but quickly brought into public ownership in the mid-late 1800’s. Not a bad thing at the time.

Coal - National coal board - formed from private coal companies in 1946.

Gas - formed of private gas companies in 1948

Steel - formed of private companies in 1949, unnationalised in 1952, renationalised in 1967.

So really the only one is BT, which was government owned from inception being part of the Royal Mail.

Happy for you to prove me wrong.

That said, given the time and how important it was at that time....water And sanitation probably best run by the authorities. So you can have that too.