View Single Post
Old 15-08-2018, 10:31   #980
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why the hysterical response? You did see the grin emoji, didn’t you? It was meant to be a joke.

That one obviously fell flat!

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

I think what they said is that they would not negotiate in public. From what I read VM did not say very much apart from alerting us to their reasons for not wishing to settle with UKTV (ie too expensive for channels with so much repeated old material, not enough OD, insufficient access to the BBC archives, etc.) Of course, they also had to participate in the occasional media interview, but I didn’t hear those.

From what I picked up, VM wanted to keep the details of their negotiating position close to its chest, whereas UKTV was really quite vocal about the whole thing. I’m not sure what is meant in the remark that VM kept changing position. Wasn’t the constant complaint that they just kept quoting the corporate line?

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

I don’t buy this recurring comment about the long term damage done over the UKTV issue. Most people will forget about this with a little time, and most of those thinking of leaving last week, in the end will not be bothered to do so. They now have more channels and more OD than before, so why should they?
Take a look for yourself on online forums a social networking sites, they're full of comments about how VM can't be trusted to keep the channels on air that people sign up and put themselves into a contract for.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote