View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 20:09   #62
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....ictions/latest

Total number of convictions = 177,230
No of black ethnicity convicted: = 18,384 = 10.4%

It seems obvious to me (and others here are more-or-less saying this) that a definitive attack on the causes of excess crime in this ethnic group should be properly studied and dealt with - the latter being very difficult.
Yeah, that's not the whole story though and there is not a simple answer. There is also this:
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....arrests/latest

Quote:
  • Black people were over 3 times as likely to be arrested as White people – there were 35 arrests for every 1,000 Black people, and 10 arrests for every 1,000 White people
  • overall, men were 6 times as likely to be arrested as women – there were 22 arrests for every 1,000 men, and 4 arrests for every 1,000 women
  • Black women were more than twice as likely to be arrested as White women – there were 7 arrests for every 1,000 Black women, and 3 arrests for every 1,000 White women
If you arrest more people then you're going find more crime. That's true across society, however if you target a specific ethnic group more, then the conviction figures for that group are skewed. In order to say whether there is 'excess' crime, then you first have to have a consistent approach to where and how you are looking for it.

You can't tell me that you think this is right:
Quote:
in 2017/18, the biggest difference in the arrest rates between Black people and White people was in Dorset (where Black people were almost 12 times as likely to be arrested as White people), followed by Cumbria (where Black people were 10 times as likely to be arrested as White people)

Last edited by BenMcr; 07-06-2020 at 20:15.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote