View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 14:55   #2800
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Of course we've left the EU. We are in a withdrawal period whereby we continue to be subject to EU rules and the ECJ. Why did you think that was an issue for me? This is a transition period so that we can prepare ourselves properly for the break at the end of the year.

You say we need to have fisheries policies in place. They are our damned fish, actually, we don't need to agree them with the EU! All these policies are likely to have been drafted some time ago. It may be that we will make some changes during the course of these negotiations, but the government knows what it wants to achieve.
You've just claimed a policy for fisheries would be established ages ago. Absolutely baseless claim.

You correctly point out they are our fish, however I'm sure we'd all agree that unregulated fishing is a bad idea. So we need two policies - one for if fishing is in a trade deal and one for if it's not. This is nexessary firstly for population levels in our waters and two my favourite subject - economics - some kind of control has to make sure this develops sustainable fisheries communities and preferably profitable exports.

Quote:
As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?
You hypothesise who would lose more but either way that's time and effort implementing policy outcomes that are unclear as we sit today. Plus we need the "no deal" one being planned for in th background.

Quote:
The thing is, this has been said before. What is it you don't get? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? I know, I must perish the thought...
My real issue is I have an intolerance of absolutely baseless information and opinion presented as fact on an internet forum.