View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 15:23   #2796
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted.
Absolute nonsense Old Boy.

Quote:
You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left.
You seem quite schizophrenic about this one. I say we've left and you are first to point out that we still follow EU rules and it's not really leaving.

Quote:
I am not underestimating anything.
Wherher you can recognise it or not is irrelevant.

Quote:
You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.
Name a single thing I've named above that isn't true. Do we not need new fisheries policies, agricultural policies, border control and a position on tariffs for EU goods?

I'm not inventing these things Old Boy. It's observable reality that these things are required.

Quote:
I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
You have that view because of your simplistic outlook driven solely by your ideology and a misapprehension that politics is driven by personality alone. Are Raab or Gove less committed to getting a trade deal by the end of this year? Of course not. They wouldn't be in the cabinet otherwise.

I'd be at the front of the queue happy if a deal were concluded. I think it's wholly unrealistic, and the contingency is perfectly reasonable for a short extension.

As I've said a million times you cannot even name a rule the EU intend to bring in next year.