View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:28   #2792
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Don't be ridiculous, jfman! Stop making things up. When did I say the coronavirus 'doesn't exist'? And yes, coronavirus is a type of flu, as was SARS. I'm not saying it is not serious either - what I have pointed out is that flu takes a great many lives each year as well and we seem not to panic about it, because we are used to that happening on a regular basis.

Yes, you are correct to say that there has been a large civil service resource being thrown into the coronavirus emergency, but there has also been a dedicated team set up just to deal with the trade deal with the EU. That being the case, and the fact that discussions are taking place by video instead of face to face in Brussels, there is no reason to delay the deadline for these talks.

Having said that, if Boris doesn't improve soon, that could indeed prompt a delay to the deadline.
I don’t see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we don’t need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they don’t? It’s literally that simple, is it not?

You are also ignoring that civil servants don’t just support the negotiations. Government departments need to know what their own areas will look like with, and without, a trade deal. Agriculture, fisheries being two significant ones. HMRC and their customs/tariff arrangements and the Home Office with border enforcement.

As always you are grossly underestimating the task and the fact you seem to base it on whether Government can function on whether Boris is healthy (or not) simply reinforces your ignorance on such matters.