View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 18:03   #273
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Linear TV will cease to be viable when the income from advertising no longer supports it. I'm not sure what you mean with your Hayu comment.
I think it’s obvious what I mean with the Hayu comment. Anything that ends with Comcast isn’t radically changing any market beyond it’s own financial interest which is as one of the largest pay-tv operators in the world. Exactly the kind of content owner it’s costs next to nothing to maintain a linear presence.

Quote:
They meant the beginning of the end. It takes a while to catch on, and of course the amount of on demand content was very limited until recently. Now it is becoming the preferred means of viewing in a fast growing number of households.
The evidence doesn’t support that there’s many fundamentalists out there who exclusively use on demand or streaming.

Quote:
I can't believe you said that! Are you saying that people out of work are incapable of understanding how digital TV works? I would say to you that most disabled people are capable of coping with the technology and most of those who cannot will have carers to help them.
You said that people in work can cope with new technologies I was simply asking you about groups you chose to omit.

I’ve seen people in later stages in life with dementia who barely have the capability to switch a television on and press “up” through the limited number of channels until they settle on something.

So yes, I think it’s a perfectly valid question to ask if television is no longer delivered in this way (which I don’t accept it will anyway) how they will cope. It’s a far too simplistic assumption that someone in work today will retain that level of cognitive function throughout retirement with increasing life expectancy. It’s also far too much of an ask on their families to have someone there all the time (either through funding or giving up their own time).
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote