View Single Post
Old 20-05-2019, 16:47   #807
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You are conflating two issues. One being there’s no quality on linear TV (when there is) and the other being TV companies will (I would say “may”) have to produce more of their own content.

TV companies around the world will be in exactly the same boat in your post apocalyptic dystopia. There will always be scope to pool resources or buy from independent production companies.

All the “good stuff” going to streaming is entirely subjective. You’re also ignoring that Comcast are a major content owner distributor themselves.

Game of Thrones brings up something else though with this being considered a significant series drawing to a close worldwide and everyone engaging with it at roughly the same time.

Something that will be lost if series just get dropped in one go due to the entire audience watching episodes at different rates. A subscription tv series may never be as talked about it as popular again.
Where did I say there were no quality programmes on linear TV? You twist everything I say. If you look back just a few posts ago, I gave examples of quality on linear TV - Victoria, Line of Duty and Bodyguard. I said there was a diminishing amount of it on pay tv.

It is clear to me and many others that there are plenty of quality shows on streaming services. These are on the increase, while linear TV shows (with the notable exception of BBC and ITV, whose shows will soon be on Britbox) are declining.

Whether you like it or not, I'm just pointing out what's happening, not whether it is good or bad.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Recordings of new episodes scheduled this week off Sky Entertainment Channels

Arrow
Chernobyl
Blue Bloods
Seal Team
The Rookie
Riviera
Modern Family

You wrongly assume if you don't like something nobody else does.
Chernobyl, Blue Bloods and Riviera are all Sky Atlantic programmes, not available on VM (yet). Modern Family and Arrow appeal to a certain audience - no-one I know watches them. I think these are aimed at a much younger audience.

I haven't watched The Rookie or SEALTeam yet so I can't pass judgement on them, but really, is that the best we can come up with? Do you really think those few shows are worth over 50 quid a month? Look what you get on Netflix for a tenner! There's no comparison.