View Single Post
Old 26-11-2019, 19:54   #1154
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

“Mobile phone lobby to make case for more bandwidth” - it’s hardly news, is it Old Boy?

If you actually read the 2013 OFCOM document it merely refers to the possibility of using UHF frequencies in the “long term” of which the date 2030 features consistently throughout as an entirely arbitrary date. Further away than 2020 which is medium term (now actually a mere few weeks away). There’s also many assumptions made and outlined throughout the document and it’d be interesting to see if they held up through to 2020.

Considering it took from 1997 to 2012 to switch of analogue television I’d not be holding my breath for 2030. That said, it doesn’t preclude live linear channels from broadcasting over 5G, satellite, cable or fixed line internet in any case.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It implies nothing of the sort , it's merely the distribution method that will change.

Funny linear is still mentioned here
The DVB-I ecosystem
While DVB-I refers in particular to the forthcoming specifications for service discovery and programme information, the ecosystem extends to other DVB specifications. DVB-DASH was recently updated to include a low latency mode, while a specification for Multicast Adaptive Bit Rate streaming will be finalized in early 2020. Both are key to achieving scalable, efficient delivery of linear content over broadband networks.

This looks magnificent.