View Single Post
Old 24-10-2019, 21:29   #1141
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I can't say I've seen any poor ones, but I am actually quite selective of what I watch (On the contrary, the shows I watch on Netflix are excellent). I do think that flooding the market with shows isn't going to do Netflix any favours though. I'd rather they cut the quantity down a little, and concentrated on the quality. We are going to get to the point where instead of getting excited about a new Netflix drama, people are just going to roll their eyes, shrug and say "Meh, it's another Netflix drama".
I agree about the quality, but if you scroll through the Netflix menus these days, more often than not, you are getting Netflix's own shows and films.

Netflix had to go down the quantity route in preparation for when it loses much of its third party content. There used to be just House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black, now they've got tons of their own stuff.

Can anyone name every single Netflix original now? I bet they cant.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
On your other point about new material on broadcast TV, reality does not coincide with your view...

They delivered more than 32,000 hours of original, homegrown productions across their channels in 2018, which was around 125 times more than was shown on paid streaming services (221 hours). The vast majority of programmes available on streaming platforms are US-made productions, created to play out in multiple countries.
I would expect our broadcasters to show more UK stuff that foreign services, even though one of the main broadcasters is foreign owned. But how many of those 32k hours of programmes are decent dramas, comedies, factual shows? The vast bulk of original stuff is cheap reality shows, celebrity chefs (still going strong...) panel shows and other stuff that is made in bulk and cheaply.

I've just noticed that my Fire TV stick has the Apple ap on it now in preparation for their full launch next month. If Apple, Amazon and the other big American tech/media giants start investing in UK made content, as some like Netflix are already doing, our own broadcasters don't stand a chance of survival in the long term, in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have been reporting on a lot of depressing news about the likely fate of the linear channels over the last four years, but here is a glimmer of light for those who cannot imagine life without them.

I have been struck by how few new dramas are now finding their way to the TV channels,I]
It's worrying for those of us who need to watch our pennies. In the not too distant future, we could end up with "poor man's tv" ie a handful of linear, ad invested channels filled with pretty much the same crap that is on tv now and "rich man's tv" where all the decent dramas are on all the streamers, many of which will require subs.

I still think linear tv will go on for some time yet, especially the main broadcast channels, but it will be the cable/sat channels that will feel the effect of the streamers the most over the next 5-10 years.

Everything goes full circle. Before satellite tv, there was only a few tv channels and in the streaming world in the future, it may go back to that.