Thread: 4K UHD on Virgin Media
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2019, 12:42   #1028
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

There were quite a few people who thought that owning an HD screen was all they needed for HD in its early years, just as some thought owning an LCD slim screen meant they were watching digital TV, when they were watching analogue. Additionally those sets that upscaled to HD did often did a good enough job that their owners were already pleased, many just liked having proper widescreen for the first time as it coincided with them getting digital for the first time.

I know we were perfectly content with Pace/SA/Samsung cable boxes with SD through SCART such was the quality of the job of the upscaling my Sony HD screen did. We did notice the difference when we eventually got a V+HD but there weren't many HD channels, and that box upscaled SD well on all the other channels, as did the Tivo and now the V6. Most of the HD I saw for years was Blu-ray films via my PS3.

My point being many people bought HD capable screens because of they wanted slim screens, or larger screens, or widescreen, because they needed one with a digital tuner for switchover (and not with a HD tuner, only SD digital tuners were on the market). There was a long time where the market had virtually no HD channels, particularly free channels despite the shops being exclusively slim LCD televisions and yet people were still happy with the advances they brought.

Don't get me wrong I love the picture on these UHD store demos, but we don't have room for them, and hearing people saying you don't notice much unless you have a certain size and you have to be a certain distance to get any benefit, we're in no rush. We purposely didn't get a UHD screen when our last HD TV died as we didn't have any UHD equipment/sources, and there was no point buying into a technology with undecided standards i.e. HDR.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people with UHD TVs are quite content with the upscaling of HD, that's likely what most of their entertainment consumption is.

I would like a UHD screen eventually, but it would mainly for gaming.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-02-2019 at 12:46.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote