View Single Post
Old 18-05-2008, 15:01   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I thought that the "main" UK channels (BBC etc.) were FTV, not subscription-only, before they finally went FTA? Encrypted, but no need to pay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
yes thats correct the UK terrestrial tv channels have never been pay tv, ppl are confusing them with the Irish channels which are pay tv channels on Sky
Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

Quote:
thanks for the info i thought that i had red somewhere that they have an ethernet port, but i wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up
Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote