View Single Post
Old 17-07-2019, 19:48   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Drug deaths up in Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s far from obvious that the criminal code isn’t at the root of the problem at all. You probably deep down know this, but that doesn’t allow you to slate the SNP.

Saying two places have the same set of laws therefore the law can’t be a problem is simply ignorance.
Saying the law must be the problem is, likewise, ignorance, when there are many other factors that can be compared and contrasted with each other across the border, yet that’s what the SNP’s submission to the relevant Commons select committee amounted to.

I’m not unaware of what’s going on here by the way ... it is a fashionable liberal position to argue for reducing the severity of the law’s position on drugs. I can see it’s easier for you to attribute my argument to dislike of the SNP than it is to deal with evidence that challenges your position.

The facts here are that there is one common schedule across the UK that states how severely each drug should be regarded, yet everything else varies between England and Scotland. Making a drug illegal doesn’t make it more lethal. There are plenty of things that can be done for drug addicts that are allowed by the law. Whatever is being done in England, the outcome is less than one third of the fatalities, per capita, than whatever steps are being taken in Scotland. It’s simple logic to examine first which different policies might be causing different outcomes.

Last edited by Chris; 17-07-2019 at 19:54.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote