View Single Post
Old 14-04-2021, 17:22   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Logitech discontinues Harmony remotes

I have a Logitech Harmony remote controlling my TV, Tivo and Apple TV in the living room. I hesitate to call it a "AV setup" because that implies I have a Home Cinema, which I don't.

I think the problem the Harmony has is that most AV devices now days have some sort of option to control them via either an App, or some sort of home assistant (like Alexa or Google Assistant), so now, rather that hunting for a remote, you can either just speak your commands, or use your phone or tablet.

I like the remote because while, most of the time, I do use the app on my phone to control the devices, that's not always convenient.

There are a few reasons for that.

First, I might have friends or family round. Sometimes, watching TV, I like to give them the choice of what to watch. Now, I can give them my phone, but might not want them having access to all my personal data, even though I do trust them.

Second, my LG TV is connected via WiFi (I'll be switching to Ethernet soon, but it's not currently possible due to a lack of sockets near the TV and the fact I don't want to trail cables). The problem is, the TV doesn't always reliably connect to Wifi when it comes off standby mode. The standard LG App doesn't support waking up the TV via the App either. The odd thing here is that the TV *does* respond to WOL packets, and will come out of standby mode for them. A standard remote doesn't require any of that, and just works.

Third, I don't have a speaker such as an Amazon Echo (don't like the reports of them listening in, even though I don't routinely say anything that would be of any interest to outsiders), so I am limited to using my phone or tablet. The problem is, these are not always charged. The logitech remote works for months on two AAAs and if they are low, I can swap them out in seconds.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote