View Single Post
Old 14-09-2020, 10:12   #9959
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
There is a way competition could lower prices - all interested parties to pay for rights to cover all games that are being broadcast, the customer then gets to choose who to get coverage from dependant on price, quality etc.

Of course this will never happen as the likes of Sky and BT would want to pay a lot less as they weren't getting exclusivity.
I agree the cartel at the league want nothing to do with that idea as the value of the rights is the premium that companies will pay to be the exclusive broadcaster.

I do think that'd be a good approach though, even by bundling games - e.g. a club season ticket - differently does result to a genuine choice for end users and would remove this 'exclusivity premium'.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Amazon may well have ideas which will mean that football is cheaper for the consumer.

However, whether or not that is the case (and I believe that it is), that is no argument to suggest that Amazon will not try to take out Sky or BT next time.
Or any evidence that they can, or will!

You think £5bn is a good investment for football rights - and it may well be. However if Amazon could say, buy BT who are being looked at for a £15bn takeover, why would that not present better value for money and give a better longer term return on investment as we move to a full fibre future?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote