View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 20:09   #9946
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The return on investment comes from football subscriptions, jfman, just as that is how Sky make their profit from it (+ advertising, of course).

I don't know why you are so fixated by the fact that Amazon only picked the bargain basement matches. It was their first toe in the water, and a relatively inexpensive way of judging the success of sports streaming in the UK and their ability to attract subscribers.

They were reported to be pleased with their little experiment, so it remains to be seen what will become of it. As you correctly pointed out, they have very deep pockets, so anything is possible.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

I don't quite get your reasoning. Why can Sky and BT do this but not Amazon?
I’m not saying they can’t but I also don’t find it realistic they would make a bid for the majority and somehow absorb that cost into Prime... I’m just speculating based on their current strategy of having enough to make a Prime sub worthwhile (or retain those subs). I fully expect Amazon to be in the mix but I think they’ll be after a package or two across a season that would help retain year long Prime subs.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 13-09-2020 at 20:18.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote