Thread: General Channel 4 to be privatised
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 13:30   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Channel 4 to be privatised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Love to see the Business Case ostensibly behind this proposed sell-off.

In order to arrive at a conclusion, normally people would have had to see evidence, weigh arguments, consider pro & cons and decide on best path forward - normally documented and scored against an agreed requirements list; I wonder if this will be available to MPs when they have a vote on this?

It’s stated that by Nadine Dorries that

So we’re going to move from a company that costs the viewers and the taxpayers nothing, and that has in it’s remit to purchase locally produced programmes, to a company that will compete with Netflix which costs just under £16 per month, had £18 billion of debt, and makes most of its programmes in the USA?

It would be interesting to see the evidence behind the statement "government ownership is holding Channel 4 back", considering the Government has no input in how C4 is run (they appoint the Board, but don’t have day to day oversight - or is she implying that the Government appointees are holding C4 back?).

I wonder if that is based in fact as much as one of Dorries recent statements, which was that C4 was in receipt of public money*?

*spoiler alert - it isn’t…
I think you only have to look at Channel 4’s schedules to see the reason for the sell-off. They started off well in the beginning all those years ago, and they started off looking quite different, but sadly the schedules are now pretty mundane.

Without too many restrictions being imposed by government, this channel could be transformed with the increased cash that it would be able to raise by not being in public ownership. Only then, in the right ownership, could we be free of these mundane cookery, home makeover, house selling shows and the rest.

Before you jump to conclusions about the value of Channel 4, it might be worthwhile to look at the schedules for the week and work out exactly how many of the programmes on the channel you are actually watching. You might be surprised. Unpleasantly, I would wager.