View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49   #9
aclivity
Inactive

Services: VM 20 Meg BBI, XL TV, Phone, Mobile.
aclivity will become famous soon enoughaclivity will become famous soon enoughaclivity will become famous soon enough
Re: BBC iPlayer - is radio coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The BBC iPlayer red button app is, AFAIK, written and maintained by the BBC, so, yes, they would be in a position to know what they will be offering on it in future.

As for why Radio is not on there, well, it could be a variety of reasons. It may not be technically feasible for the BBC to do it, or there may be licencing issues preventing it.

Having said that, I don't know what the reason is.
the content of the menus may be written and maintained by the BBC, but the mechanism that plays the videos (and the media library from which it is played out) is the Virgin Media video on demand platform, which is supplied by SeaChange.

The reason why radio isn't supported is that the timing signal for the SeaChange VoD platform is carried in the video track - therefore it cannot play on demand standalone audio.

One option you may consider for standalone audio on demand is a Reciva compatible internet radio. I bought one for £35 that plugs into my hifi (It's a Logic IRMA-1, IIRC) that allows me to access on demand from the BBC.
aclivity is offline   Reply With Quote